Bichon Frise is the most adorable companion dog that you will find in the toy dog category. Their snow white or cream colored coat is their unique characteristic which is loved and admired by all Bichon Frise lovers. But if this white coat gets discolored the Bichons lose their charm. So if you observe Bichon Frise turning brown or pink immediately take some action before the discoloration becomes permanent. In order to make the process of removing these fur stain convenient we have provided a comprehensive guideline about why these stains occur and how to remove them without harming the Bichon Frise skin underlying the coat.
Table of Contents
Bichon Frise Turning Brown or Pink – Problem
As mentioned earlier, white coat is no less than a Bichon Frise trademark. And any damage to it results in loss of Bichon Frise charm. During their life some Bichon might experience this problem and the owners might wonder that why is my Bichon Frises coat turning pink or brown. The root cause of this problem will be discussed below to make the Bichon Frises owner understand the reason behind this issue.
Is Brown or Pink Bichon Fur Medical Illness?
Usually pink Bichon Frise fur or brownish Bichon discoloration is not a medical issue. It may be due to excessive licking. But sometimes it can be caused by medical problems. For instant, some Bichon Frise eye infection becomes severe as a result of which they secrete more tears. These excessive tears can cause brown or pink colored stains near the Bichon eyes known as tear stains.
Other times it may be due to some kind of a yeast infection. Bichon nose turning pink can also be due to bacterial infection , changes weather, sunlight exposure, allergies and other reasons as well. So first you need to observe the situation to find probable root cause and then treat it. And if in case you are unable to find the reason then visit a vet immediately.
Why Is My Bichon Frise Fur Turning Brown?
Brown Bichon Frise spots on Bichon coat is quite a common issue. It can occur due to:
1. Yeast Infection Due to Damp Skin or Excessive Licking:
The yeast called Malassezia pachydermatis can harm the skin of Bichon Frises. This can happen a lot. The skin gets all red because there’s too much of this yeast. Sometimes, dogs with this yeast problem or allergies lick and bite their paws and legs a lot. This leaves a brown stain. Then, the yeast takes over when their fur stays wet and turns brown. This yeast likes to live where it’s damp, like in the ears, under the eyes, and around the jaws.
2. Tear Stains Due to Eye Infection:
For white-haired dogs like Bichons, having brown stains is normal, especially around their eyes. These stains might mean they have an eye problem or are just getting older.
3. Eating Colored Food:
Eating food with colors can also make their fur change color. When they lick their lips, more color can come out and make more brown stains. This is more likely to happen.
4. Dirt Accumulation:
Taking them for walks is good, but their fur can easily get dirty. So, keeping them clean is important for their health. If you ever worry about their fur, it’s a good idea to talk to the vet. They know how to help!
Home Remedies To Treat Bichon Frise Brown Spots On Skin
- Clean With Mild Shampoo: Wash your Bichon Frise with a gentle dog shampoo to keep their fur clean. This helps to remove dirt and might lessen the brown spots.
- Keep Them Dry: Make sure your Bichon’s fur stays dry, especially in areas like ears, eyes, and jaws where yeast likes to hang out. Dry fur helps prevent those brown spots from coming back.
- Wipe Tear Stains: If your Bichon has brown spots near their eyes, gently wipe them with a damp, soft cloth. This can help reduce staining.
- Give Fresh Water: Provide clean and fresh water for your Bichon. Staying hydrated can be good for their skin and might help with the brown spots.
- Healthy Diet: Feed your Bichon a balanced and healthy diet. Good food supports overall health and might reduce the chances of brown spots.
- Luke Warm Water: Use luke warm water to remove the stains.
- Baking Soda: It has bleaching action so it can be used to remove stains. But do not use it near sensitive parts.
Remember, if the brown spots persist or if you’re unsure, it’s wise to consult with a vet. They can give the best advice for your Bichon’s specific needs.
Products To Treat Bichon Fur Turning Brown
For helping with brown hair on your Bichon Frise, you can try these easy-to-use dog shampoos:
Burt’s Bees For Dogs Natural Tearless Puppy Shampoo
Espree Perfect Calm Chamomile Shampoo
Designed for Delicate Puppy Skin
Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera Shampoo
Veterinary Formula Solutions Snow White Shampoo
Best Cleansing Action
Arm & Hammer for Pets Super Deodorizing Shampoo
Why Pink Bichon Frise Stains Appears?
Bichon Frise can get pink stains on their fur for a few simple reasons. Sometimes, it’s because of things like:
Just like we get a tan from the sun, a Bichon’s fur can turn pink if they spend a lot of time in the sun.
As Bichons grow older, their fur might naturally change color a bit. It’s like getting a few gray hairs when people age.
3. Water and Tears:
If their fur stays wet a lot, especially around their eyes, it can cause pink stains. Tears can also contribute to this producing tear stains.
4. Eating Colored Food:
If they eat food with colors, it can sometimes make their fur change color, especially around their mouth.
These pink stains are usually not a big problem. They’re just a part of what makes each Bichon unique. If you ever worry, it’s good to ask the vet. They know how to help keep your furry friend happy and healthy!
Home Remedies For Pink Stain Removal
To clean pink stains on your Bichon Frise at home, you can try simple things. Here are easy remedies:
- Warm Water and Cloth: Get a soft cloth wet with warm water and gently wipe the pink stains. This can help remove some of the color.
- Cornstarch Paste: Make its paste in warm water, apply and let it sit. Then gently remove it with any soft clothe.
- Hydrogen Peroxide and Water: Mix a bit of hydrogen peroxide with water. Dab it on the stains with a cloth. Be gentle, and don’t let it get in their eyes.
- Dog-Friendly Wipes: Use dog wipes designed for cleaning. They are safe for your Bichon and can be convenient.
- Tea Bags: Dip tea bag in warm water. Cool the tea bag and apply it onto the stain. It can help remove any discoloration.
Product Used To Treat Bichon Frise Pink Fur Stains
ANGELS’ EYES Gentle Tear Stain Solution For Dogs and Cats
Arava Pet Eye Wipes
Burt’s Bees For Dogs Tear Stain Remover
Miracle Care Eye Wash Pads
Value to Money
NaturVet – Tear Stain Remover
How To Keep Bichon Frise Fur White?
If your Bichon Frise turning brown or pink is constantly worrying you, you can prevent it by taking few steps. Keeping a Bichon Frise’s white fur clean and bright is easy with these simple steps:
- Regular Brushing:
- Brush your Bichon’s fur regularly to remove dirt and prevent mats. This keeps their white coat looking clean and shiny.
- Gentle Dog Shampoo:
- Use a mild dog shampoo designed for white coats. This helps to brighten their fur without irritating their skin.
- Wipe Tears and Moisture:
- Gently wipe around their eyes to remove tears and moisture. This helps prevent brown stains and keeps their fur white.
- Clean Paws After Walks:
- After walks, clean their paws. This prevents dirt and mud from staining their fur, especially if they have white paws.
- Regular Grooming Sessions:
- Schedule regular grooming sessions, either at home or with a professional groomer. This keeps their coat well-maintained. Wash them every now and then and them dry them properly.
- Monitor Their Diet:
- Ensure they have a healthy diet. Sometimes, food can affect the color of their fur. Consult with your vet for a balanced diet.
- Regular Vet Check-ups:
- Visit the vet for regular check-ups. They can identify any health issues that might affect your Bichon’s coat.
- Reduce Bichon Frise Licking:
- You need to reduce the licking problem in order to prevent pink and brown stains.
In conclusion, if your Bichon Frise turning brown or pink on their fur is worrying you, it’s usually okay and happens for various reasons like sunlight, aging, or wetness. Simple home remedies, like gentle cleaning with water or using dog-friendly wipes, can help. If you’re unsure or if the stains persist, talking to the vet is a good idea. They are like pet doctors and can give the best advice for your furry friend’s health. Just remember, a little color change in your Bichon’s fur is normal, and with care and love, they can stay happy and healthy. Enjoy your time with your adorable Bichon!
Is it normal for Bichon Frise to have brown stains around their eyes?
Yes, it can be normal, especially in white-haired breeds. Tears and moisture around their eyes can cause brown stains.
Will the brown or pink stains on my Bichon’s fur go away on their own?
Sometimes, they might fade on their own, but using gentle cleaning methods or dog-friendly products can help speed up the process.